A Look Inside Your Mouth
It’s said that the best place to start is at the very beginning, and with dentistry, it all begins with an initial comprehensive dental examination. That’s the place where we lay the groundwork for any future recommendations and that’s where we get a good close up view of your teeth and gums.
Ready to get started? Give a call to a dentist in your area and let them perform a thorough initial examination to evaluate the state of your dental health. Don’t you think it’s about time?
What’s Involved in a Comprehensive Exam?
You may think that a comprehensive dental exam consists only of a cleaning and a look at your teeth. Actually, there’s quite a bit more to it than just that.
An initial comprehensive dental exam includes the following:
- Obtaining a written record that details your medical/dental history, including a listing of all current medications.
- A thorough oral cancer screening, both visually and digitally (using the fingers), checking all of your lymph nodes, lips, tongue and the insides of your mouth and cheeks.
- A series of diagnostic X-rays that provide a comprehensive view of your teeth and condition of your bones.
- A periodontal examination, which includes a thorough screening and assessment of your gums – to check for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- An occlusal exam, to check for bite problems (underbite, overbite, crossbite), worn teeth, and jaw problems, such as TMJ.
- Additionally, the dentist will perform a meticulous tooth-by-tooth check to identify cavities, examine prior treatment and restorations and the current condition each, locate any chipped, cracked or missing teeth, or identify any work that needs to be performed.
Ready to Sign Up?
Every journey begins with a first step! If it’s been awhile since you’ve seen a dentist, a participating dentist in your area would be happy to provide you with a thorough examination. If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, give them a call.